Sunday, December 13, 2009

Bedtime music

It occurred to me the other night that my boys have always loved music. They listen to it every night before bed and it has always been that way. I also have noticed how their favorites change over time. For E, the only song that would calm him down for a long time was "The itsy bitsy spider", for M it is "Somewhere over the rainbow." E used to listen to an African lullaby cd, then Norah Jones, and then his "My little bird" cd. That is until he didn't want his cd player in his room anymore because he thought it was scary. When we brought M home I started to sing to him at night because that was the only thing that would calm him down. I always sang to the boys but M really prefers for me to sing. For a while Will couldn't even put him to bed because he didn't sing "Somewhere over the rainbow" (aka: somewhere over the ye ye). Now, his choices have grown to include "Favorite things" (aka: raindrops), "Doe a deer" (doe a dee), "Tomorrow", "Goodnight Sweetheart" (aka: Do, dee, do, do), and that lullaby from "Mr. Holland's Opus". Now, they even let me make up songs and M is very particular about which song he wants and will make requests. My boys crack me up and bedtime is far and away my favorite part of the day. I do think I need to add some new songs to the repertoire as a little variety never hurt anyone.

2 comments:

Larry said...

Hi Jenn! Nice ideas! So far my baby Danielle couldn't get enough of "Himbing," a lullaby from Baby Bedtime Center's collection of lullabies (http://bit.ly/Bo1FR -- under sleep aids) Although I have noticed that some songs make her more awake! She's so much fun. :)

~Christy said...

I notice most of these are 'show tunes' - does that say something about our family?! hhaha :)