Monday, February 28, 2011

Speedy's Trauma

Last week Tuesday we had quite an eventful day. We had a really rough day, after hearing that Sunshine's case had not been submitted to the Embassy, and I was really upset. It was not a pretty day for me but I was getting through, barely. Well, I must say there is nothing that jolts a momma & dad out of their crummy feeling and into excessive caretaker mode like a trip to the emergency room.

Poor Speedy was running around the wall that seperates the kitchen & living room. He was just told to slow down when the dog cut him off & he fell. He landed flat on his face because the dog had been in the way and he couldn't get his arms down. He stood up with blood pouring out of his mouth. Daddy jumped into action and Momma stood in shock. Daddy gave directions and momma grabbed all necessary gear including Giggles and off we went.

I must say Daddy had the hard job, keep Speedy calm enough to get through it. I also did not envy Daddy's role in the ER as he had to help hold still so the Doc, PA & Nurse could give him a mental block and numb him up. There was a lot of screaming and it felt like eons until it was finished. Seriously, I would have lasted 2 minutes and then told them to just put him out, it was pure torture. Speedy was a huge trooper. He did call the nurses and doctors stupid during the mental block but was very polite the rest of the time. Replying to questions with a simple "No, thank you." After our 2+ hours in the ER & with 2 stiches in his bottom lip we headed to the dentist for an after hours visit.

Now, it was my turn. I took him into the dentist where he had x-rays done. We went back into his office and he gave Speedy some nitrous oxide to keep him calm. After a quick exam the dentist told me that Speedy had brooken the tooth at the root (this is very uncommon--usually the teeth just get pushed back) and that he would need to take it out. We could come back in the morning or take care of it then. I opted for then since I knew tomorrow he would really not want to come back. The dentist numbed him up and then pulled the tooth, leaving the root behind. The only bonus I could come up with was that the Tooth Fairy would be coming tonight, which turned out to be the only part of the dentist he seemed to remember. Yay!

Wednesday morning he woke up with $5 under his pillow from the Tooth Fairy, what can I say the Tooth Fairy knew the trauma that came with the lose of that tooth. We all survived and Speedy's lip and teeth (the bottom teeth were just a tiny bit lose) are healing well.

Speedy had his first stitches at the age of 5. Giggles at the age of 2.



No comments: