Saturday, July 12, 2008

Breastfeeding...

I am pretty sure I did not update anyone as to my status on my attempt to induce lactation. Things were going pretty smoothly before we left for Ethiopia. I had been pumping regularly and had seen a tiny bit of colostrum in both breasts. During the trip life got very hard. Schedules made it difficult to pump and I had limited success with the Supported Nursing System (SNS). I suspended pumping and nursing all together while we were there. I thought once we got back I would start up again and with M being home maybe that would push the process along. Well, we got back and about a week after we were home we found out M was lactose intolerant. There was a small note in his medical file from Ethiopia about it, which explains a lot about his disposition that first week as we were unaware of this. I know some babies can still tolerate breast milk but M couldn't. My SIL was also nursing at the time and producing so much more than her baby could drink that she gave me some of her frozen stash to try with M. Well, he was not tolerant of breast milk and spit up more than usual that day. Despite my best efforts breastfeeding did not work for us. Bummer but at least I can say I gave it my best shot.

No comments: